||Temperate and subtropical forests
||24, Fl 48 (C, D mounted)
|No. of Attacks:
||Dive, rear kick
||L (5½' at the shoulder)
Pegasi are magnificent winged steeds that often serve the cause of good. These
intelligent creatures are very shy and wild, not easily tamed. They serve only
good characters, and when they do, they will serve their master with absolute
faithfulness for the rest of his life.
A pegasus is a thoroughbred which resembles an Arabian horse (though slightly
larger) with two large feathered wings. Pegasi are usually white, but brown
pegasi are not unknown, and rumors persist of black pegasi. As should be expected,
alignments do not vary according to color (all pegasi are chaotic good).
Pegasi are 17 hands tall (5 feet at the shoulder) and weigh over 1,500 pounds.
Pegasi must be ridden bareback; they will not accept saddles.
Pegasi speak their own language and can communicate with horses. They can
understand common, and will obey their master's commands if they are given in that
A pegasus attacks with its hooves and teeth. It can attack an opponent who is
behind it with its rear hooves, inflicting 2-12 points of damage, but it cannot
use any of its other attacks in that round. A pegasus can also dive at an
opponent from heights of 50 feet or higher and use its hoof attacks; each attack
roll is +2 and does double damage.
In battle, a pegasus will try to lure larger opponents (such as dragons) into
tight spaces. As the opponent struggles to maneuver into attack range, the
pegasus climbs and attacks with its hooves from above. Against creatures their own
size, such as griffons, pegasi use their superior speed to outrun them. If
griffons are close to a pegasus nest (especially if there are young present), one
parent will attack aggressively, get the griffon's attention, and then fly away.
By doing this, they hope to lure enemies away from the nest and tire them out
over a long distance before returning home.
Pegasi are egg-laying mammals. If encountered in their lair, there will be one
nest for every pair of pegasi. There is a 20% chance per nest that there will
be 1-2 eggs (30% chance) or young (70%) of 20-50% maturity. Each egg is worth
3,000 silver pieces, while the young are worth 5,000 silver pieces per head on
the open market.
A pegasus can be used as a warhorse; a male can carry weight as a medium
warhorse (220/330/440), while a female can carry weight as a light warhorse
Pegasi are intelligent creatures. They can detect good
and detect evil
at will (60 yard range). They use these powers on those who would ride them;
they try to throw anyone of non-good alignments who would tame them. If
provoked, pegasi will not hesitate to attack creatures whom they perceive as evil.
To tame a pegasus, a person of good alignment must locate a pegasus herd.
Then, at night, he can try to sneak up on a pegasus and surprise it. The character
must have the airborne riding proficiency. There is an initial +10 penalty to
the roll; pegasi do not like to be tamed. A magical bridle enchanted for the
purpose will remove this penalty. If the character successfully makes his roll,
then the pegasus will be tamed.
A tamed pegasus will obey the commands of its master for as long as it lives,
if the master remains of good alignment.
Pegasi feed on grass, fruits, and other plants. Griffons and hippogriffs are
the natural enemies of a pegasus. Pegasi have a lifespan of about 40 years.
Legend has it that if a medusa is slain and beheaded, there is a small (5%)
chance that a greater pegasus will be born, springing fully born from the
medusa's cloven neck. These pegasi have the same attacks and movement rate of a normal
pegasus but are worth 6 Hit Dice and have 20% magic resistance. They also have
a +1 bonus to their morale rating. There is a 5% chance that the leader of a
herd of pegasi will be a greater pegasus. Greater pegasi can be tamed only by
the noblest and greatest of heroes, and have a lifespan of 100 years.